Technically it's summer but the sun is not shining. My children are listless. They want something to do, but they haven't found that something themselves. They are starting to bicker. I rummage through the craft box and find a few bits and pieces. Some old straws, card and sticky tape. Perfect for making these flying contraptions. A robust alternative to paper aeroplanes. This is an awesome activity that takes ten minutes to make and at least half an hour of fun.
How to Make Zappy Zoomers
I like the name "Zappy Zoomer". It sounds better than "flying contraption".
- Thin card. If you don't have any coloured card, an old cereal packet will do.
- 3 or 4 drinking straws per zoomed
- Oh it’s so easy.
Easy to Make
- Cut out two oblongs of card, both 2-3 cms wide. One long one, about 25 cms long and another short one, around 12 cms long. Join the ends together with sellotape so you have 2 circles.
- If you have bendy straws, cut off the bendy bit. Then sellotape 3 or 4 of the straws to the big circle.
- Join the other ends of the straws to the little circle.
That’s it. Ready to go!
Fun for All Ages
Seriously! We all had great fun. Granddad joined in and made his own "not paper aeroplane".
The twins had fun playing with the straws, cutting things up and joining in. Threading bits of cut up straw is a fun way to practise your fine motor skills. We had to make their zoomers for them.
Then we had a competition to see how far they would fly.
Developing Healthy Habits
Even on those listless days, you can still teach your kids the healthy habits of getting outside and being active rather than sitting in front of a screen like a sack of potatoes. I know it seems like such a little thing but having fun and being active is a great habit to get into. One step closer to a healthy lifestyle for you and your kids.
Hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
Come and join our awesome Facebook Community for loads more awesome articles!