This is my take on the famous huevos rancheros, huevos a la rancho or mexican scrambled eggs. When I was travelling around Mexico, the recipe seemed to vary from place to place so this is my spanish version. It is a really tasty and healthy breakfast.
One lazy Sunday we couldn’t decide what to make for our healthy breakfast. One child wanted scrambled eggs, the other wanted soft boiled. Then I remembered my famous baked beans recipe that they love.
“I’ll make a slightly different version,” I promised.
“We don’t want it slightly different, We want it exactly the same!” they wailed.
This was the compromise. Different enough to be ‘different’. Similar enough to be accepted!
A Healthy Breakfast
This is truly a healthy start to the day. Packed with fibre and protein what better way to give your kids all the energy they need for learning and playing.
Ingredients of Huevos Rancheros
- 1 onion
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50g) chopped bacon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jar or tin of tomatoes
- 1 jar or tin of white beans (or any beans you prefer)
- An egg for each person
How to make Huevos Rancheros
- Fry the onion, bacon and green peppers in some olive oil.
- Add the paprika and garlic.
- When the onions are soft, add the fresh tomatoes.
- Add the jar of tomatoes and the jar of the beans.
- Allow to heat through.
- Add an egg for each person and allow them to poach in the liquid (just add them and wait for them to cook.)
So easy and so yummy. A great healthy egg breakfast for all the family.