My kids love strawberries so much that I could just give them a bowl full and be done with it. But Dante has been asking to make this strawberry cake for ages so when I saw the first strawberries of the season, it seemed like the ideal opportunity.
This is a really simple cake. Dante (aged 5) made it with me helping him. Pretty much put everything in a bowl and whisk. Make sure the butter is nice and soft or your whisk will struggle.
When you’ve finished you can lick one of the “whiskers”!
Ingredients for Strawberry Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (175g) self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (175g) soft butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- icing sugar for dusting
- 1 cup of strawberries, cut up
- 1 cup creme fraiche (or cream, mascarpone or yoghurt)
- 8 inch (20 cm) tin, greased or lined
- Oven at 325°F or 170°C
How to Make Strawberry Cake
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and sugar.
- Whisk until well combined and drops off the whisk (you may need to add a little water.)
- Pour into the tin and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Test with a skewer. If it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- To make the filling, mix the strawberries with the creme fraiche or cream.
- Cut the cake in half and put the filling in the middle.
- Dust with icing sugar.
So easy and so yummy. This strawberry cake is a great treat for the weekend that your kids will love.